University College Fairview Bachelor in Education (Hons) -Primary Years Programme
1) What is this Bachelor in Education (Hons) -primary years programme?
The B.Ed programme is a work based degree programme offered by University College Fairview(UCF) in collaboration with Fairview International School (FIS)) for those interested to pursue a teaching career in International schools and/or Private schools.
2) Who is UCF? Is it recognised by the Malaysian Ministry of Education?
UCF is a traditional campus university located at Subang , Malaysia.
Since its inception in 2003, we have undertaken the important task of developing our nation’s youth into well-rounded, competitive, and resilient contributors, with global perspectives on the development of Malaysia’s economic growth and prosperity.
UCF is more than just another university college. UCF is established along with Fairview network of presently 5 IB schools throughout in Malaysia and 10 in the future in the Asia Pacific region. It is a highly focused institution with IB education as its core business. UCF hopes to pioneer, spearhead enhance and impact IB education and IB teacher training not only in Malaysia but also in the rest of the Asia Pacific region.
It is registered with MOHE and the Programmes approved by MQA Details : www.ucf.edu.my
3) Why choose this B.Ed programme?
If you have a heart for teaching and inspiring students, this degree programme will gain you a passport to a fulfilling teaching career anywhere in the world. Our work based approach of studying will enable independent and hands-on learning to better discover you as an educator. This reputable teaching degree from UCF enables you to continue developing yourself as a teacher through eventually pursuing a Masters or other professional degrees.
Another reason for choosing the B.Ed programme is that you are guaranteed a career at Fairview International School upon completion of the programme.
4) How is this programme different from all the other educational courses?
Teacher training at UCF is hands-on using the Fairview IB World Schools as its years of apprenticeship in its “teaching laboratories” or to borrow the term from medical education “teaching hospitals”.
Student teachers spend a substantial portion of their time in the classrooms under the guidance of their mentors, instructors and homeroom specialist teachers, just like the training of a medical doctor. The teacher training programme at UCF is based on an Integrated Curriculum taking into consideration both lectures and classroom practical training together as in an integrated medical education curriculum. In Fairview, teachers are immersed in a classroom environment throughout the degree programme, unlike other courses where students would undergo a 6-month practicum/internship and then immediately posted to teach.
5) How will this benefit me in future?
The fact that you are in a noble profession imparting wisdom to the younger generation is in itself a benefit. One of the professions that will not be outdated or redundant is teaching. You can teach anything at anywhere to anyone at any time.
In addition, you are in an international learning organization. There is no end to learning and you will be able to share and draw upon the strength of your colleagues. This reputed teaching degree, B,ed from UCF, will further enable you to continue your development as a teacher through pursuing a Masters or other professional degrees later. You are also assured a career path in the Fairview Group of schools.
6) What is the background of Fairview International School?
Fairview was established in 1978 and has since been providing quality education to locals and expatriates leading to the Cambridge ‘O’ Level Examination.
Fairview International School, Kuala Lumpur, is the first and only International Baccalaureate (IB) World School in Malaysia offering all the three IB programmes, currently with 5 campuses in KL, Subang, Penang, and Johor Bahru ,Ipoh and a future global network of 15 schools.
Undertaking this B,Ed programme in Fairview confers several advantages that are unique to this undergraduate degree. Whilst learning about the standards and practices of IB education, students will simultaneously apply their understanding and knowledge to actual practical teaching in an IB World School.
7) What is the duration and format of the B.Ed training programme?
It is a 3-year programme leading to a Bachelors degree. Courses included in this programme can be found at www.ucf.edu.my under programmes
8) When is the intake?
Intake is in August every year. See our Fairview website for more details at www.fairview.edu.my under the section ‘Career : International Teacher Training ’.
9) Where is the training programme conducted?
The programme will be fully conducted at UCF campus.
10) What are the entry requirements for this course?
STPM/’A’ level with a distinction in English at SPM/’O’ level, or the UCF Foundation in arts
Applicants’ acceptance to the course will be based on:
– Passing a literacy test, similar to IELTS, conducted at Fairview.
– Presentation ability which would be assessed during interview.
12) How much are the academic fees for this programme?
The total academic fee leading to the Bachelors degree is estimated to be RM 45,000.
13) Is there a scholarship offer?
Yes, to those who qualify under the specific terms and conditions set by Fairview.
14) Who is eligible for this scholarship?
Anyone who meets the qualifying tests – academic results (STPM or ‘A’ Level, or a Diploma), IELTS, and interview. Terms and Conditions apply.
15) How are scholarships awards and training allowances disbursed?
The award of full and partial scholarships is based on the yearly reviews of the teacher trainee’s performance and attitude. In addition to the academic scholarship awards, each teacher trainee will be given monthly training allowances minimum of RM500 during the first year.
16) How is performance evaluated to maintain the scholarship?
Your performance will be evaluated according to these aspects:
- Exam results
- Ability to work in a team
- Reports from facilitator/mentor/coordinator.
17) Are there any conditions upon acceptance of a scholarship?
You will need to complete three years service bonding at any Fairview International School or affiliate school, upon completion and passing of the B.Ed degree programme. As a fresh undergraduate, remuneration is expected to be within RM 1800 to RM 2500
18) What if one does not want to be bonded? How much is the payback?
19) Is there a certain grade to fulfill to maintain the scholarship?
Yes, you will be evaluated according to the above mentioned criteria, and will also be required to attain a CGPA of 3.00.
Once awarded, the recipient will enroll as a full-time student for the UCF B.Ed programme and subject to UCF rules and regulations.
- Recipients must follow rules and regulations of FIS.
- If you are terminated from FIS, your enrolment with UCF will be automatically terminated.
- 40 Scholarships are available.
- Preference is given to students with distinction in English, Mathematics and Science at STPM level/ O- Level and willing to serve in FIS Penang, JB, KL, Ipoh and Subang.
Kindly download the application form and send via firstname.lastname@example.org
Download Application Form ( * Only for Malaysians)
The closing date is 1st June 2018. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified.