The IB Primary Years Programme (PYP)
All four Fairview Ib World Schools are authorised by the IB Organisation to deliver the IB PYP.
The IB Primary Years Programme, for students aged 3 to 12, focuses on the development of the whole child as an inquirer, both in the classroom and beyond.
- encourages international-mindedness in IB students
- fosters a positive attitude to learning by engaging students in inquiry-based learning and ecnouraging them to become lifelong learners
- reflects real life by encouraging learning beyond traditional subjects with meaningful, in-depth inquiries into real-life issues
- emphasizes, through the learner profile, the development of the whole student–physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically
The written curriculum
The most significant and distinctive feature of the IB Primary Years Programme is the six transdisciplinary themes. These themes are about issues that have meaning for, and are important to, all of us. The programme offers a balance between learning about or through the subject areas, and learning beyond them. The six themes of global significance create a transdisciplinary framework that allows students to “step up” beyond the confines of learning within subject areas.
- Who we are
- Where we are in place and time
- How we express ourselves
- How the world works
- How we organize ourselves
- Sharing the planet
The programme puts great emphasis on learning about these transdisciplinary themes. Each theme is addressed each year by all students. The themes provide the opportunity to incorporate local and global issues into the curriculum.
The six specified subjects are language, mathematics, science, social studies, arts, and personal, social and physical education.
The Taught Curriculum
The six transdisciplinary themes help teachers to develop a programme of in-depth investigation into important ideas and issues both locally and globally, which require a high level of involvement on the part of the students. These inquiries are substantial, in-depth and usually last for several weeks.