The IB Diploma Programme (DP)
Fairview KL is fully authorized for the IB Diploma Programme
How can you secure a place at the world’s leading universities? That’s a frequently asked question by many students. IB Diploma students find that it increases their chance to be admitted to top universities like Harvard, Wharton, Cambridge and Oxford. As an academically challenging and balanced programme of education, the IB Diploma prepares them for success at university and life beyond.
The curriculum and pedagogy focus on international perspectives of learning and teaching, while insisting that students fully explore their home culture and language. More importantly, at the core of the Diploma Programme are components that encourage students to participate in creative and service-oriented activities, while at the same time emphasizing the importance of reflection on a personal and academic level.
The IB Diploma Curriculum
IB Diploma Programme students study six courses at higher level and/or standard level. Students must choose one subject from each of groups 1 to 5, thus ensuring breadth of experience in languages, social studies, the experimental sciences and mathematics. The sixth subject may be an arts subject chosen from group 6, or the student may choose another subject from groups 1 to 5.
In addition, the programme has three core requirements that are included to broaden the educational experience and challenge students to apply their knowledge and understanding.
- The Extended Essay (EE) is a requirement for students to engage in independent research through an in depth study of a question relating to one of the subjects they are studying.
- Theory of Knowledge (TOK) is a course designed to encourage each student to reflect on the nature of knowledge by critically examining different ways of knowing (perception, emotion, language and reason) and different kinds of knowledge (scientific, artistic, mathematical and historical).
- Creativity, Action, Service (CAS) requires that students develop life skills like: organizing, learning new languages, maintaining a healthy body through physical activity and developing social responsibility through community based activities.
- The Fairview IB Diploma Team – The team consists of a medical doctor, IB examiners, IB moderators and extensive experienced IB lecturers with impressive track records. Undoubtedly, our Diploma students will achieve higher IB results.
- Learn Amongst The Very Best – A discerning admission process will keep you in a competitive but yet supportive learning environment among only the best students. Apart from academic excellence, you will be exploring, adapting and acquiring essential leadership skills for tomorrow. We do not expect anything less than the very best.
- Fairview has all 3 IB Programmes – IB education is more than just the Diploma Programme. Knowledge, skills and values are delivered in a continuum from the IB Primary Years PYP through the Middle Years MYP to the Diploma DP programme. Fairview knows IB education, because it is the only IB World School in Malaysia offering the entire 3 IB programmes in one campus.
The Diploma Programme emphasizes independent learning. Students are assessed through an extended essay requiring independent study and research. The theory of knowledge course encourages students to reflect on the nature of knowledge by examining the different ways of knowing and different kinds of knowledge. Through creativity, action and service, students have the opportunity to learn from experience outside the classroom.
Want to know more about enrolling into the IBDP programme? Or are you ready to do an application?
Please fill out the online IBDP Enquiry form